As you make your way down the road, you know just how important it is to obey the law at all times. If you don’t, it’s possible that you could find yourself in trouble with the police at some point.
The older you get, the easier it is to forget about the many types of traffic tickets. This is particularly true if you have avoided trouble on the road for many years.
However, it’s always important that you understand the many types of traffic tickets you could receive. This will help avoid a situation in which you make a costly mistake. Here are six of the most common types of traffic tickets:
- Speeding. This is one of the top reasons for a ticket. If you want to avoid this, make sure you always know the posted speed limit.
- Distracted driving. Police are cracking down on distracted driving, as this behavior is causing thousands of injuries and deaths throughout the country every year.
- Driving without a license or on a suspended license. This may not sound like a big deal, but it can get you into a lot of trouble.
- Leaving the scene of an accident. You should never leave the scene of an accident until you are 100 percent sure that it’s okay to do so. This typically means waiting for police to arrive.
- Reckless driving. There are many forms of reckless driving, such as racing another vehicle.
- Running a stop sign or red light. Just as common as speeding, this is a dangerous offense that can cause a serious accident.
If you are pulled over by police and issued a traffic ticket for one or more of these reasons, you need to understand exactly what’s going on.
While your first instinct may be to pay the fine and move on, this isn’t always the best approach. In some cases, a license suspension may accompany your fine, which can make it difficult to live your life.
It’s best to learn more about your traffic ticket, the laws in your state and your legal rights. This will help you decide which strategy is best.